Wha?!.... It was just a few flurries!

Getting Home

So here's the scene:  Time is 4:41pm & I've received word that early release has been granted.  I'm pulling up "Bus Tracker" on my phone to avoid standing in the elements more than 2 minutes prior to my bus arrival.


I guess I shoulda known it was going to be an interesting journey when the driver said, "I saw you running after me," when I got on the bus.  *My thoughts - Hell Yes, I was on a mission to get on this metal tuna can!*


Normal bus ride, with the exception that there were only about 10 people total on the bus at what is generally rush hour.  [I suppose everyone else was smarter than me and left earlier... ooooorrrrrr, just never left the house in the first place seeing as how blizzard warnings have been issued since Sunday].  (Sorry, I digressed)


Anywho, the bus is doing some minor fishtailing, but nothing to start composing a Last Will & Testament about.  UNTIL we get to Lake Shore Drive!


Okay, so I watch a lot of movies and suddenly I felt like I was being filmed.  Here are some of the ways I went wrong, before I could even make a real move:
1.  I naively did not go to the restroom before breaking out of prison.
2.  I didn't eat anything or have anything to eat with me... AT ALL...
3.  My "snow boots" are not water proof [found out the hard way]
4.  I suddenly realized my scarf choice for the day was completely inadequate
5.  I should've left sooner


So picture this.... "Snow Armageddon" with bumper-to-bumper traffic; visibility of about 5feet; cars spinning out on both sides; vehicles turned the opposite direction of travel; etc.  The bus inched along down the road, turning what would normally be a 35-minute bus ride into almost 3 hours.


At one point the bus opened the doors (which sounded like a glass bottle being dropped onto the floor); and people started boarding.  These people were coming from another bus that got stuck in a drift... they had no clue what bus they were boarding and no clue where they would even wind-up; but they did know that they would no longer be stranded.


One man was keeping us updated on our location by using his phone's GPS tracking device, while a woman sitting on the opposite side of the bus from me was giving commentary on "someone jogging the LSD path".  While they were doing this... I was taking mental inventory of all passengers that had grocery bags.  [Wha?... A girl's gotta eat and it was either that or resorting to "Alive" tactics.


The break in tension came when a clever passenger decided to ring the bell while we were in the midst of the chaotic stand-still, to indicate that he wanted to get off the bus.  We all literally laughed out loud; maybe even a little harder than normal just because of the tension.


Well... long story -kinda short... once we got off our exit; everyone on the bus started clapping for the driver (whom I did NOT envy).  And just as I got home... I received word that Lake Shore Drive had been closed.


Oh, did I mention that I almost ate pavement as soon as I got off the bus?!  Ummmm yea, apparently my boots are worth shit and although they look like classic "Moon Boots"... they perform like flip-flops.


So what is the moral of this story?
  • If someone tries to make you stay even when your gut tells you to leave... flash a middle finger; while you prep for exit
  • When walking in slippery conditions... grab onto the nearest person next to you, whether you know them or not.  At least that way; there will be someone to break your fall.
  • If you aren't great at determining the best route to your intended location... ask someone!  [In my mind; if I would've taken the train I would've cut my commute in half]
  • It's only "cute" to live off the lake until a massive blizzard hits
  • I'm soooooo not a fan of snow and slush
Welp, that's about it for now... I gotta go start looting a store for some water... Later!  :)

Comments

Popular Posts