Complain vs Vent

Most mornings I like to start my day by sending random text messages to friends just to say "good morning" and to ask how they are.  I do this because I want them to know that they are on my mind and because I truly care what's happening in their lives. 

Just today I noticed that my response to the generally inevitable return inquiry into my well being was, "can't complain”.  This made me think about the concept of complaining in general.  What is its point?  It certainly doesn't get anything accomplished, and it doesn't even make the complainer feel better.  So why do we do it?...

Instead of complaining, I'll choose to vent.  However, I know that I must do this with caution.  The act of venting can easily cross over to become complaining, and once again I will accomplish nothing. 
To vent is to allow steam to escape in order to prevent combustion.  Once the steam has escaped, that venting should be done.  (that's not Websters... that's just me)

Here's the thing, I was once told (by a very wise man), that venting is fine if you say it once and then take action to make things better.  I hold this very true...

Sorry, I digress.

Today's task is to listen to yourself.  Are you complaining, or are you venting?  Do you feel that one makes you find relief over the other? 

I'm not aiming to assert my specific philosophies or ways of being on you.... I just aim to get you to think about your current actions.  If they don't help you, perhaps a change will do you good. (yes, that is a Sheryl Crow song)

*Truly become the change you wish to see*

Comments

Post a Comment

Well, were you inspired?...

Popular Posts