Bad Habits

They say that we as a people tend to notice the "annoying" habits of our neighbors because those habits are most likely an unattractive reflection of ourselves.  I mention this because throughout this journey I have made it a point to remain humble as best as possible.  A part of this process requires strength in self reflection.  This means that I not only have to look at my mirrored image; but I need to study it.  This... is no easy task.

Here's an example:
I'm reading a book to my children for bedtime and I notice the premise of the story is literally, one character outdoing the other through metaphors to express their love for one another.  Yes, I'm sure I'm reading a bit too much into it but that's neither here-nor-there.  I'm looking at this as to how I can take away a lesson and in turn improve myself in accordance with HIS direction.  I'm learning that it isn't about how much someone can outdo the other, or even who gets the last word... It's about listening to one another and being true to self.  

If you say you ate one potato yesterday, I'm not going to one-up and say I had two.  Instead, I will let you have your story... I will enjoy in your delight of sharing and only insert my version when appropriate.  Life isn't about tit-for-tat; it's about coexisting and uplifting.  

Apologies... another tangent.

I say this not to show you that I'm obsessive (lol); but to say that there is literally a lesson in everything.  We just need to open our eyes, hearts and souls to receive them.  Yes, I will continue to read the story (it's cute and they love it).  Yet I will take the opportunity to recognize this... the aspect of dialogue that would normally ruffle my feathers instead lends a singular lesson that was intended for me to receive.

Point being... don't just take things at face value; we must all look beneath the surface in order to obtain our truth.  We mustn't dismiss aggravating behavior of others.  Instead we must reflect on it to see how we can improve ourselves and possibly even the other person (if they are open to the suggestion).  

No one is perfect, but that doesn't mean we should stop trying.



*Namaste*



Whatever you see in others is probably just a reflection of you.



Comments

Popular Posts