Altered Perceptions

I used to joke with my friends about the impact that the music I listen to has on how I feel.  If I listened to angry music, I was ready for any fight that tip-toed to my door.  If I listened to sad music, I felt as if the world was crumbling around me.  It actually still happens when I listen to music, but you know what I've discovered?  It's not the music that shifts my emotional state;it is actually me that changes the meaning behind the lyrics.

Don't get me wrong, if an artist is singing about attacking someone until they are unconscious, I'm gonna go out on a limb in saying that he or she is not creating a metaphor, for living in a peaceful/ utopian society.  Yet, I'm simply referring to my response to the lyrics and beats.  Thing of it is, my emotional states generally determine my perception of reality; and the same goes for my interpretation of conversation or other things of the like.

So in recognizing my potential to project my internal feelings onto others, I must take ownership in my reactions.  Instead of allowing my mood to control me, I must learn to control my mood.  Easy enough, right?  ;-)   Well, no one said this journey would be easy, but I do know that for the sake of change... It is all, well worth it.

*Rock on, rock stars*


Marisa Moments Website
Facebook: MarisaMoments
Twitter: @MarisaMoments
Email: Marisa@marisamoments.com 

Comments

Popular Posts