Excuses

It is said that excuses are tools of the incompetent; they build monuments of nothingness and those that use them?.... Well, let's just say that it doesn't end well for them.

I've noticed lately that I am the queen of excuses.  I can get out of anything in 3-words or less almost as if I were getting paid to do so.  It's a skill really.  Yet when I take a step back to see the impact of my excuses, I notice that they leave me standing alone in my home.  Protected in my fortress of solitude, moments away from complete agoraphobia.  I see that invites begin to dwindle, friends scatter to the wind, and my life becomes focused on the latest recipe option.  Which don't get me wrong.... I actually think all of the aforementioned are sometimes perks, because at times you do have to funnel down in order to find your truth.  Yet and still, one has to be cautious not to filter so much that they clear out everyone and everything including themselves.  

So back to the subject at hand... EXCUSES.  I find that it's not really about the excuses as much as it is about the fear of rejection or failure that is directly attached to whatever I am excusing myself away from.  For instance, I can receive compliments on my overall style of dress every-single-day of the year for each day of my life, yet when someone asks me to style them for an event I will instantly say that I am too busy to do so.  Why, you ask?  It's because I fear failure... so much so, that I don't even attempt to take that small step forward although I'm practically being pushed forward!  Even if I have the outfit for them to wear imagined in the forefront of my mind.  It's crazy!!!!

The amazing thing is that I'm beginning to understand it and recognize my propensity towards creating excuses and am therefore able to counter the excuse demon before he can even think about rearing his ugly little head.  Yes, I might end up having small panic attacks here and there, but you know what?  I push through them and when I get to the other side; I inevitably look back and think to myself, "You did it".  

I'm beginning to understand that I keep giving my power to others by giving them credit for the steps that I take.  Yes, my movement might begin based on the words, encouragement or actions of another; but at the end of the day; we must all own our own actions and in turn claim our power.  So today, I do just so.  I'm not suggesting that the excuses are completely burned to the ground, but I am taking strides and moving in the right direction.  I encourage you to do the same.

*Peace and Blessings*



Facebook     |     Twitter
Tumblr          |       Instagram
Email


Comments

Popular Posts