Picking up Weight

WARNING:  Be prepared to go to church on this one!

I have always been the type of person that would take on the problems of those I hold nearest and dearest.  If they hurt, I hurt... if they were in pain, I was in pain.  I recognize now that it was the *empath in me that was the main culprit of this... but that's not the part I'm going to address here.
*Empath: A person who is capable of feeling the emotions of others despite the fact that they themselves are not going through the same situation.

Just today, I had a moment of clarity.  It was in this moment that I finally understood a lesson that has been doled out to me time and again throughout my life.  It is something that I have known, yet never seemed to understand until now.  It's quite simple actually.

"22Cast your burden on the LORD, and he shall sustain you: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved."
He tells us right there!  Allow me to break it down...
  • Cast your burden - give your problems/ worries 
  • on the LORD - to HIM
  • and he shall sustain you - HE's going to take them on so that you won't have to.  
  • HE shall never suffer the righteous to be moved - HE's not going to let you fall.  [HE's not going to leave your side... HE will not only take on the burdens, but if you let HIM, HE will work through and for you so that those burdens will be resolved]
So with that... who am I to take on the HIS role?!  OK, I gotta stop... I'm about to ask for an Amen in a minute!  

In saying that... I realize that being there for someone, to hear their cries, and offer a shoulder is completely different than taking on the problems of others.  Of course this isn't an easy habit to break; as compassion dictates otherwise.  And this is not to say that you shouldn't step in to help if/where you can because he also says, "2Bear you one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ." 

Now, I'm not aiming to contradict or confuse with any of this. I'm just saying... don't try to do HIS job. Point blank. Instead let him use you when and how HE can, and in doing so you will help someone move forward instead of holding their hand into stagnation.  Stop Picking up Weight that does not belong to you!



And with that... I'm going to drink my morning coffee because I think I just testified!  Whew!




*Be the change you wish to see in the world*




Comments

Popular Posts